I grew up in South Dakota and have lived in Minnesota the last lots of years (haha. I almost gave away my age). Either way, my winters have never been without snow and below zero degree weather. As the years go on, I find myself preferring to stay inside, snuggled up with popcorn (or ice cream –
oddly enough), with a good movie or a book. The often long winter lends itself to being stuck in this routine. Particularly after a long day at work, it can be a challenge to do anything extra. However this December, I want to fill it with purposeful time with my family. The 25 Activities of December will be posted right here.
When I can, I’ll plan ahead, including posting information here about the activity (including supplies, recipes, etc, if needed). Knowing myself, and time, Friday-Sunday activities will be filled with things that take a bit more commitment, and Monday-Thursday activities will mean short, but purposeful. I’ll also post the list on this post, and photos and more information about the daily activities on my VIP group and Instagram. Feel free to join us in doing these activities in your home! Pick one, two, or as many as you would like! Let us know any December Activities you add that we might also be interested in doing. Comment here or on my Facebook page!
25 December Activities
1. Making Peppermint PlayDoh!
Koolaid Peppermint Playdoh
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 packages dry unsweetened koolaid 2 cups boiling water
3 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 Tablespoon peppermint extract (we have also used other extracts for other scents!)
Mix dry ingredients together in bowl. Mix liquids together and pour into dry ingredients. Stir until it forms a ball. At first it will appear as if it will never make a smooth playdoh mixture. As the mixture cools and becomes less sticky, take it out of the bowl and knead until smooth.
2. Make salt ornaments
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1.5 cups water
Roll out thin to avoid puffing
300 for 1 hour 15 minutes -ish. You want them hard but not too dark
3. Put up Holiday lights and decorations!
4. Write to Santa, using the Want, Need, Wear, Read idea!
5. Donate items to local toy / gift / clothing collection spot.
6. Finish a couple more Magic Painting winter/holiday pictures and mail to grandparents with letters.
7. Make paper snowflakes!
8. Visit Santa!
9. Making Paper Garland
11. Watching favorite holiday movie!
12. After work, grab hot cocoa and popcorn, and drive around neighborhood to see holiday lights!
13. Creating paper snowflakes
14. Holiday shopping and gift wrapping
15. Making cards and drawing pictures for grandparents and other family / friends
16. Bake! Lots ‘o Holiday Treats!
17. Picked out Hallmark ornaments (we each get one every year!)
18. Dancing to holiday music while cooking!
19. Dropped off kids book donation to local family shelter
20. Playing board games
21. Went out for dinner
22. Reading holiday and winter books — lots of them!
24. More Holiday movies and soaking in the season!
25. Christmas Eve!
What activities did you do this December? What should we add to our list for next years 25 Activities of December?