Every holiday, birthday, and any other gift giving reason, I struggle. There are things that would be fun to give my child — or the children of friends and family, however what should I really give them? Trying to balance price, practicality, do we need to buy batteries, will it make a mess, it is something they already have 4 of? It is a challenge each and every time. One strategy I have tried is looking at what they want, need, wear, or can read.
While I don’t always know the answer to all categories, I try to consider what is most ideal: A balance of this. As a parent, I know my child often ends up with a lot more of what she wants and reads vs need or wear. I also know we might be unique in some ways, as with my part time job in book sales, my family may have a lot more books than others.
With that, I have created a few ideas, and gift giving guide for you. While this isn’t comprehensive, it is a way to start thinking about these categories.
*Note: I’m an avid Amazon shopper. Prime is my BFF. Who can argue with shopping at home, in my PJs, and things arriving at my door 2 days (or less) later!
- At least this year, LOL Surprise Dolls seem to be popular. Good luck finding them, however as they seem to have disappeared off the shelf long before the major holiday shopping time!
- Legos: A classic, yet popular ask! You cannot go wrong with grabbing a set of legos!
- Doll House! Another classic ask, however we have so many options! Our family loves the HAPE All seasons house as in addition to the HAPE dolls, it fits, Shopkins, LOL dolls, and Hatchimals that have been overtaking our space! 🙂
- Stickers! A couple options for this. The Sticker of the Month Club is AMAZING. I highly recommend this — the stickers, postcard to decorate and mail, and color sheet always keeps us busy for a wonderful chunk of time each month! There is also the sticker book option. We love the sticker dolly books, and this superhero sticker book!
- Back packs are a great option for kids of all ages. From toddlers needing a bag for toys and snacks in the car, to school aged children who love to bring a new bag to school!
- Pending time of year, a kid’s umbrella, or new rain boots (or snow boots?) might be the perfect option!
- What kid doesn’t need a new bath towel? Or bath toy organizer?
- Slippers: Who doesn’t love a new pair of fuzzy slippers!?
- Socks. If your kids are anything like mine, we need new socks all. the. time. Between outgrowing them, and misplacing them, bring on all the new socks!
- Winter Hats: This is for sure a need/wear item — at least in Minnesota! I always recommend picking out a fun winter hat. We have to wear it, might as well be colorful, silly, and warm!
- Shine a light books! These books are great paired with a flashlight, new pillow, or sleeping bag! Unique non-fiction books that give readers information about a topic, and then pose a question. Reveal the answer by shining a flashiest behind the page!
- Seasonal / Holiday Books: these can become instant classics and family favorites!
- Lift the Flap books! These non-fiction titles are sure to amaze and engage even the most reluctant reader. From General information about our world, to detailed information about how our bodies work, or a peek inside the inside of a train!
- Interactive / Activity Books: Paper airplanes are taken to the next level. This selection of paper airplane (birds, spaceships….) to fold and fly is amazing. Plus, if you are looking for a toy and a book in the same gift, the pull back books/toys are great for little ones, and this puzzle/book set is perfect for the older reader!
- Infant books are also a hit for gifts any time of year! This bus book is readable and drivable! The fold out books are super fun for tummy time!
To help you in organizing, I have created a couple printable! First, we have a PDF Printable without Lines and the same printable with lines. Both option are perfect for organizing your shopping lists for your kids, or even giving it to the child you are shopping for to help them think about the what items they may be able to place in each category!
What items would you add to each category? Hop over to my group page to join the conversation.
Kimberly Klein is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.